1 (10oz bag) dried shitake mushrooms
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, minced
1 (8 oz can) bamboo shoots, julienned
3 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup vinegar, we used apple cider vinegar
2-4 tbsp hot sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp COLD water
2 green onions, sliced
2 tsp sesame oil, extra for drizzling on soup
Optional: 1/3 block tofu, diced
1. Place shitake mushrooms in a container. Add enough water to cover the mushrooms. Soak for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Add vegetable stock, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar and hot sauce to pot. Drain mushroom liquid into pot. Do not put mushrooms in pot. Bring pot to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Sliced mushrooms and add to pot. Let pot simmer 20-30 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust spice and acidity. Adding move vinegar or hot sauce if needed. Add a little sweetener if too spicy or sour.
5. In a bowl add cornstarch and water. Mix together.
6. Add cornstarch to hot soup. Stir over medium heat until slightly thickened.
7. Add green onions and sesame oil.
8. Cook 5 minutes.
9. Serve and drizzle extra sesame oil on top if desired.
Recipe by Vega Morgan- In the Vega Kitchen